March 06, 2012

In Search of John Doe

Luke 19:10

Imagine that you're looking for a long, lost family member: John Doe. All you know him is his name and the last state he lived in. That's it. Nothing more. You try the internet (Google, Ancestry.com, jail rosters of the major cities; and so on); you try a private detective; you purchase ad space in local newspapers announcing your search for John; and, you even consider leasing billboard space, but it's too expensive. You search turns to relatives who might know more about your loved one. But, you find nothing. Every lead turns out cold; they are all dead ends. Now, imagine seeking John Doe for 30 years. At times, you give up and stop looking. Then another lead turns up and you're back at it again. Searching, asking, and so forth. And so the cycle of frustration repeats.

On a certain day - a day no different from the others - you receive a phone call out of nowhere. A cold call. The person on the other line states that they're looking for John Doe's relatives. You see, he has adult children who are seeking to make a connection with his long, lost family.

The phone drops from your hand as you are in a state of shock. You feel jubilant, relieved,  doubtful  and exhausted all at once. And you begin to weep.

Your search is over.

I write about this scenario because it really happened. One of my job duties is to conduct relative searches. It so happened that on this particular case, the Lord would not let me stop. There was just something itching inside of me to continue the search for a family on the West Coast. And, it was on a hunch (well, really, the leading of the Holy Spirit) that I googled a combination of key words and the relative's name. The name popped up on an employee roster on the employer's web site. And just like that - a name, a phone number, a hope - a phone call was placed. Then, the family reunification was confirmed.

When I spoke to the person who had been seeking the relative and he told me of his 30 year odyssey of searching for the lost lost loved one, I asked him how it felt to have gotten a cold call out of nowhere, telling him that a search for his family had lead me to him. The person's voice cracked as he answered, "It was very emotional."


Emotional indeed. What person wouldn't be searching for a lost parent or sibling or loved one? You'd have to be love sick to continue searching in the face of frustration, disappointments and humiliation. And, what I mean by love sick, I mean a charitable, selfless love of giving all of yourself - sacrificing everything - to find your loved one.

And to think, there's the Lord of the universe who loves you so much, who cares deeply for you, that He sent his Son to look for you. It's very personal, don't you know? He wants you to know that He did everything possible to demonstrate His love for you. His Son Jesus Christ did just that at Calvary. This is what He has to say about His search:

1. "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." Luke 19:10

2. "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."  Rev. 3:20

3. "It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found."  Luke 15:32

4. "As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd."  John 10:15-16

5. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."  John 3:16-17

There's oh so much more I could tell you about Jesus Christ, but I'll let the Gospels do that. Open your King James Bible and read the four accounts of Jesus Christ in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Read for yourself about the wondrous story of Jesus and His love and come home!

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling—  Calling for you and for me; Patiently Jesus is waiting and watching—   Watching for you and for me.

Come home, come home. Ye who are weary, come home. Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling. Calling, O sinner, come home!

If you want a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, click here: The Plan of Salvation



No comments: