March 27, 2012

A Lullaby for Believers

John 15:1-5
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

These verses are among my favorite verses in the Gospel of John. It references our inability to fight the good fight and live for the Lord in our lowly, sickly flesh. And, yet, it also encourages us to live and walk in the Spirit (Gal. 5:16). Plus, obedience brings blessings (James 1:25).

So, if you're struggling in your Christian walk, all I can say to you is, Welcome to the club, Pilgrim!

The poem below highlights the Christian's daily struggle. And, if you aren't struggling, dear Believer, then it might be you aren't walking straight!


In the Stillness of the Night

In the stillness of the night
As I lay in bed and try to sleep,
I remember how I blew the fight
And all Your commands I didn’t keep.


I tried, O God, I tried
To strengthen my soul against the dark.
I felt so confident that I would abide.

But when temptation came, I had missed Your mark.

But then as I slept that night
You came to me in a dream.
You said to me, “Try as you may, try as you might,
You will fail, despite what it may seem,


It is not your job to see you through,
It is not your job to feel strong.
I just want one thing for you to do:
Give Me what you tried to do all along.”


So that morning as I awoke
And I knew my sleep was worth its while,
For as I remembered the words that You spoke
I gave to You my temptations and my trials.


I finally admited I was too weak
To face the day without making a mistake.
So to You I lay my life so meek
And I asked You that me You would not forsake.


Day by day You guide me on
And my strength I get from You alone.
All my battles have been won
For in Your strength I have been sewn.


by Geoff Lemke


And, II Corinthians 12:10 rejoices in this Biblical fact: "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

When Christ indwells in you (Gal. 2:20), He does all the heavy lifting and you're just doing all the believing.

Finally, Christ said, "...[B]e of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

Jesus has indeed overcome the world because He is risen!

Look no further than I John 5:4-5 to settle all your doubt, worries and fears:



"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"

You see, Reader, faith is the victory:

On every hand the foe we find
Drawn up in dread array.
Let tents of ease be left behind,
And onward to the fray.
Salvation’s helmet on each head,
With truth all girt about,
The earth shall tremble ’neath our tread,
And echo with our shout.


Faith is the victory! Faith is the victory!
O glorious victory, that overcomes the world!


It's up to you to believe what Jesus said and did. Do you trust Him today? If you don't, why don't you, Reader? You've read and considered other religions and philosophies. Instead, why not try a relationship with the the Prince of peace, Jesus Christ? Come and see what hope, love, peace, truth and mercy is all about!

Read all about here: I Want A Fresh Start!

No comments: